Welcome Note

Motivation of the Day...
A Place to Inspire and be Inspired



Sunday, August 5, 2012

An Ant Made my Day!

ya strange title I know... I was shocked myself...



A few minutes ago, I was sitting there, facebooking, reading statuses, posting on MOD facebook page, regular me, thinking of all my wedding preparations, my house arrangements and so many more bubbles in this head of mine. Something drew my attention. AN ANT!




First thing I thought of was killing it, but then I wanted to tease it around. I started putting my leg in its way, and Miss Ant moved left, I tried putting a paper to block the way, yet it moved to the right! The challenge between me and Miss Ant started!!! I will block its way and make it stop moving! Blocks were made, barriers were build all around this mysterious creature and everytime it amazed me and found a way around!

Clearly and sadly I have to admit that I have lost the challenge! Miss Ant has won the competition of finding its road to the window!!

This whole silly indecent made me think for a while, we all face barriers and blocks in our way EVERY SINGLE DAY! Some of us stay in their places, crying their eyes out, cursing life, being miserable and lose all hope and faith in overcoming their challenges, while others simply hit the breaks, put Reverse Gear, hit the paddle, put Drive and switch the route around this block!

 While searching the internet about Ants way of living I found out the below article....

"Finding the most efficient path through a busy network is a common challenge faced by most of us. To solve these optimization problems using software, computer scientists have often sought inspiration from ant colonies in nature - creating algorithms that simulate the behavior of ants who find the most efficient routes from their nests to food sources by following each others volatile pheromone trails. The most widely used of these ant-inspired algorithms is known as Ant Colony Optimization (ACO).

Nature is full of unpredictability and one solution does not fit all. So a group of researchers turned to ants to see how well their problem solving skills respond to change. Are they fixed to a single solution or can they adapt?

The researchers tested the ants using the three-rod, three-disk version of the Towers of Hanoi problem - a toy puzzle that requires players to move disks between rods while obeying certain rules and using the fewest possible moves. But since ants cannot move disks, the researchers converted the puzzle into a maze where the shortest path corresponds to the solution with fewest moves in the toy puzzle. The ants at the entry point of the maze could chose between 32,768 possible paths to get to the food source on the other side, with only two of the paths being the shortest path and thus the optimal solution.

The ants were given one hour to solve the maze by creating a high traffic path between their nest and the food source, after which time the researchers blocked off paths and opened up new areas of the maze to test the ants' dynamic problem solving ability.

After an hour, the ants solved the Towers of Hanoi by finding the shortest path around the edge of the maze. But when that path was blocked off, the ants responded first by curving their original path around the obstacle and establishing a longer, suboptimal, route. But after a further hour, the ants had successfully resolved the maze by abandoning their suboptimal route and establishing a path that traversed through the center of the maze on the new optimal route.

But not all the colonies' problem solving skills were equal: ants that were allowed to explore the maze without food for an hour prior to the test made fewer mistakes and were faster at resolving the maze compared to the ants that were naive. This result suggests that the "exploratory pheromone" laid down by ants searching a new territory is key in helping them adapt to changing conditions.

Ants does not  get stuck in a particular path and can't adapt. Discovering how ants are able to solve dynamic problems can provide new inspiration for everyone, which in turn can lead to better problem-solving techniques."


It shocked me how those creatures based on their instincts can solve problems easier than Humans with actual logic and analytical abilities!


"It is not enough to be busy, so are the ants. The question is: what are we busy about?"  ~ Henry David Thoreau

"An Ant on the move, does more than a dozing Ox." ~ Lao Tzu

I want to be an Ant! who wants to join me?

3 comments:

  1. I love it :D it's been a long time with no posts, glad to see you're back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks samar! many thanks to Miss Ant ;) hahaha
    am glad you liked it dear

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like :)

    "Stay committed to your decisions, but stay flexible in your approach" Tony Robbins

    ReplyDelete